Youth Policy Pipeline Pilot 2020-2021
What is the purpose of the Youth Policy Pipeline Pilot? (why)
- Bring youth alumni from partner organizations to offer deeper opportunities for leadership and skill development.
- Support the development of young leaders who have the desire to pursue a career in policy and advocacy
- Create a unified youth coalition focused on systems and civic change
- Identify demands on local leadership by partnering with local advocacy and community organizing group
- Reinforce the importance of youth leadership for civic change.
What structure will be used to drive the pilot forward? (how)
- Cohort structure/model
- Inclusive and welcoming to everyone regardless of race, gender, (all other social identities)
- Grounded in the positive youth development frame/model
- Psychological safety
- Co-created end goal/outcomes rooted in the values and experiences of participating youth (see personal development plan)
- Adult partners of color with varying degrees of experience from other policy and advocacy orgs
- Two to three In-person convenings and likely bi-weekly/monthly video conferencing as meeting options
What are the desired outcomes? (what)
- Build or deepen relationships in the policy and advocacy landscape with community leaders, students, parents, and other youth advocacy organizations
- Strengthen policy and advocacy skills around a specific civic change
- Achieve cohort identified outcomes and individual goals as specified in the personal development plan
- Prepare individuals to enter fellowships or pursue career opportunities within the field of policy and advocacy
- Reimagine youth led policy process, by deconstructing and disrupting systemic and racist policies.
- Increase clarity on the role(s) you might want to play in civic change
- Participating youth will help define, plan and execute key project milestones/components, within the supportive structure of skill development and adult leaders’ partnership
- Build a policy proposal for a challenge facing students and share with a key decision-maker
Complete the interest survey by clicking on this link or contact Stephanie Perez-Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. You can also watch this zoom information session for more information.