Advocates ask RTD for youth and low-income transit passes
Denver area students might be able to access more affordable transportation as the Regional Transportation District (RTD) Board considers new policies next week. Advocates working on this change are asking for support at the Feb. 27 meeting in downtown Denver.
For more than a year, members of the Transit Equity Coalition, led by Together Colorado and the Donnell-Kay Foundation, have been working on a package of recommendations for the Regional Transportation District (RTD) board. The recommendations include providing free youth passes for children under 12, discounted passes for students through high school, and low-income passes for families at or below 185 percent of the federal poverty level.
Last year, after Denver voters approved a $400,000 bond request, the RTD board approved a pilot program for 1,400 students, hoping that it would be an opportunity to better understand use among students and implement a more expansive program. The board has an opportunity at an upcoming meeting to expand the program and accept the coalition’s recommendations.
This package of recommendations would be a tremendous opportunity for RTD to support students, who often spend over $200 on transportation annually and who rely on public transportation to get to and from school. Here are ways to get involved:
- Join a Facebook group to follow any updates on the RTD Youth Pass and Low-Income Pass Campaign by searching: “RTD Youth Pass and Low-income Pass”
- Attend the last RTD Pass Study Working Group on Feb. 27 at 1 p.m.; One Civic Center Plaza, 19th Floor Conference Room, 1560 Broadway, Denver. You can provide public comment or you can be there in solidarity with those that do.
- Share this petition with your network
- Show your support on social media by using any of the following tweets and sample posts:
– We are calling on our local and state leaders to support an affordable transit system for all in the Denver region. Take action to support #affordabletransit
– People ride RTD an average of 330,000 times each weekday. Let’s harness the voices of the millions of riders to show our support for an #affordabletransit system!
– Become a supporter of the Youth and Affordable Fare program by signing our online petition calling on the Pass Program Working Group to support #affordabletransit in Denver.