Majority of Colorado parents favor administering statewide assessments to evaluate the impact of COVID-19 on student learning

A statewide poll by Keating Research reveals that parents are most concerned about student learning loss as school disruptions continue.

Contact: Beza Taddess
Title: Communication Director
Phone: 7204223906
Email: [email protected]

Majority of Colorado parents favor administering statewide assessments to evaluate the impact of COVID-19 on student learning

A statewide poll by Keating Research reveals that parents are most concerned about student learning loss as school disruptions continue.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 29th, 2021

Denver, Colorado— A statewide poll conducted by Keating Research revealed that an overwhelming majority of parents are in favor of statewide assessments this spring when they understand that the purpose will be to adequately measure the impact COVID-19 has had on student learning.

Almost one-third of respondents (27 percent) agreed that student learning loss due to the pandemic is the most important issue facing Colorado schools. Another 16 percent cited quality of remote instruction as their top concern, for a total of 43 percent who are alarmed about learning this school year. When respondents understood that summative assessments will only be used to determine the amount of student learning loss, identify trends, and target resources, they supported administering the assessments by a margin of 2.5 to 1. A workgroup convened by the Colorado Department of Education determined that it would not be appropriate to link statewide assessment results to teacher evaluation or accountability for schools or districts this year. Without high-stakes implications, 62 percent support testing, 25 percent oppose it, and 12 percent are undecided.

Coloradans are united in their support of assessment from every corner of the state, both urban and rural, with between 59 and 64 percent of voters in every geographic region surveyed agreeing that collecting information on how kids are doing will help inform how best to support students and schools. Support for a Spring assessment was also bipartisan, with 61 percent of Democrats and 73 percent of Republicans in favor of conducting statewide assessments.

“Assessments have always been one important tool for measuring student progress,” said Leslie Colwell, Vice President, K-12 Education Initiatives at the Colorado Children’s Campaign. “This year, when students’ worlds have been upended and schools have employed dramatically different models of instruction, they’re essential for understanding the impact that COVID-19 has had on our kids and where opportunity gaps have widened.”

The Colorado Children’s Campaign believes information about the learning progress of students – especially during a pandemic that is deepening existing educational inequities – is vital. Because of the constant change in learning settings across districts, we know very little about the academic content being delivered, how engagement for online learning is measured, and the extent of learning loss or gain that may be happening. To ensure that every child graduates prepared for success in college, career, and life, we must protect assessments to help inform policies and budget priorities that support all kids.

Keating’s findings are based on a random sample of 600 online respondents between January 5-10, 2021. The sample accurately represented Colorado’s voter population based on party registration, gender, age, education, region and ethnicity.

 

###

About Colorado Children's Campaign


About Colorado Children’s Campaign

The Colorado Children’s Campaign is a nonprofit, nonpartisan advocacy organization committed since 1985 to realizing every chance for every child in Colorado. We advocate for the development and implementation of data-driven public policies that improve child well-being in health, education and early childhood. We do this by providing Coloradans with trusted data and research and organizing an extensive statewide network of dedicated child advocates. For more information, please visit www.coloradokids.org.

If you would like more information about this topic, please contact Beza Taddess at 720-422-3906 or email Beza at [email protected]

 

###

If you would like more information about this topic, please contact Beza Taddess at 7204223906 or email Beza at [email protected].