The Colorado Children’s Campaign is seeking a Content Writer who will be responsible for generating and editing most of our external policy, research, and development content with the help of our full staff. The main goal of this role is to generate, nurture and convert policy issues that impact Colorado kids and families through informative and engaging content.
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and an example of published work to Beza Taddess at email@example.com. Please include in your cover letter where you heard about this position. We review applications on a rolling basis—so it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible. The Colorado Children’s Campaign encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Our StoryThe Colorado Children’s Campaign is a nonprofit, nonpartisan advocacy organization committed since 1985 to realizing every chance for every child in Colorado. We advocate for the development and implementation of data-driven public policies that improve child well-being in health, K-12 education, and early childhood. We do this by providing Coloradans with trusted data and research on child well-being and organizing an extensive statewide network of dedicated child advocates.
As the leading voice for Colorado’s children at the State Capitol and in communities across the state, the Children’s Campaign has been at the forefront of hundreds of policy wins for kids. Among the numerous laws and programs we’ve helped establish are the Colorado Preschool Program, Child Health Plan Plus, and the Reading to Ensure Academic Development (READ) Act. The Children’s Campaign is committed to integrating values of diversity, equity and inclusion into daily work with intention, action and humility in order to advance racial and economic equity within our organization, our networks and partnerships.
- Conceptualize and write a wide range of complex, high-quality pieces under deadlines, including content for print and digital to increase awareness of our mission and advance our policy priorities;
- Create and edit materials that influence and support the Children’s Campaign’s policy and research agendas, including data visualizations, presentations, newsletter articles, briefs and fact sheets;
- Work closely with the Research Director, Communications Director, Development Director and Outreach Director, It’s About Kids Network Manager and other team members to write, edit and publish content to the Children’s Campaign staff, local communities, state legislators, and other interested parties in Colorado;
- Support Children’s Campaign teams in general content writing and editing needs;
- Other duties to advance the mission of the Colorado Children’s Campaign, as needed.
- Commitment to the mission and work of the Colorado Children’s Campaign;
- B.A. or equivalent experience and at least two years of related work or internship experience in writing about policy or a closely related field;
- Experience writing and editing complex policy topics such as family economic security, health care, child care and school finance and others;
- Strong copyediting abilities, excellent written communication skills; mastery of APA format;
- Ability to take complex information and turn it into engaging, easy to understand language;
- Ability to generate content and translate statistical information into language accessible to policymakers, press and the public;
- Ability to take initiative and manage projects successfully;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with people of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives including but not limited to: colleagues, partners, stakeholders, and supporters;
- Flexible, innovative, energetic, and able to work as a member of a larger team;
- Ability to work with colleagues in an inclusive manner that demonstrates openness to differing perspectives and experiences;
- Commitment to supporting a culture of continuous improvement and organizational excellence;
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary for this position is $45k - $50k based on experience and includes a strong benefits package including a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, health insurance, paid time off and paid family leave.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Colorado Children’s Campaign is an equal opportunity employer that values workplace diversity. The Children’s Campaign strives to create an inclusive work place that embraces diverse backgrounds, life experiences, and perspectives. The Children’s Campaign prohibits discrimination of employees or applicants on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual identity, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.