2017 Parent Academy
Make a difference for kids by learning how to speak up effectively! Desearías contribuir a instruir a nuestros niños poder expresar sus peticiones?
Si deseas aplicar en Español por favor comuníquese con Stephanie Pérez-Carrillo.
The Parent Academy is a program for parents interested in learning how to advocate for high-quality education in their community and at the state level. The Parent Academy is designed to help parents use their voice to push for high-quality education opportunities for their children and all Colorado kids.
Participants will develop an understanding of the education system at the state level and dive deep into advocacy strategies during each session. Expert speakers on advocacy techniques and the current state of education in Colorado will join participants as they learn the fundamentals of becoming an effective advocate in their local schools or at the State Capitol.
Parent Academy participants will learn strategies to advocate for education excellence in their communities and at the state level, including:
- Gaining an understanding of the Colorado legislative process.
- Developing strong public speaking and story-telling skills to advance advocacy efforts.
- Learning to write and submit opinion pieces for news media and use social media for advocacy.
- Gaining deep knowledge of the history of education reforms and innovations in Colorado.
- Developing strong relationships with elected officials and decision makers.
Great schools need advocates from every corner of Colorado. As a participant of the Parent Academy, you’ll learn skills and strategies that are proven to make a difference. Truly understand policies at the state level and how they impact your community. Learn how to tell your story in a way that resonates with legislators and members of the media. Build lasting relationships with policy makers that can make all the difference critical moments during the legislative process. Become part of a network of individuals across the state who are working together to make Colorado a place for every child to gain a high-quality education.
Denver Metro, Weld County Parent Academy Schedules:
- Applications are now open until 12, Dec. 2016 (Denver Metro) for the above Parent Academy sections, please contact Stephanie Perez-Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to apply.
Colorado Children’s Campaign: Every Chance for Every Child
The Colorado Children’s Campaign is a nonprofit, nonpartisan advocacy organization committed since 1985 to realizing every chance for every child in Colorado.
We advocate for the development and implementation of data-driven public policies that improve child well-being in health, education and early childhood. We do this by providing Coloradans with trusted data and research on child well-being and organizing an extensive state-wide network of dedicated child advocates. Every day, we work to:
- Eliminate gaps in student achievement and health outcomes between low-income children and children of color and their peers.
- Provide all of Colorado’s young children with high quality early learning and development experiences so they are ready for school and on track for success in life.
- Secure quality, affordable health care and healthy communities for all Colorado children.
- Ensure all students in Colorado have access to the quality K-12 education they need to graduate from high school prepared for college, careers and life. The Parent Academy will focus specifically on K-12 education, but you can learn more about the Campaign’s three main issue areas here.
As the leading voice for Colorado’s children at the State Capitol and in communities across the state, the Children’s Campaign has been at the forefront of hundreds of policy wins for kids. Among the numerous laws and programs we’ve helped establish are the Colorado Preschool Program, Child Health Plan Plus and the Great Teachers and Leaders Law.